Since coming to One Mission Society more than a year ago, it has been a joy to begin to get to know our OMS family! In this process, Esther and I have been given many books—inspiring biographies of OMS missionaries and their thrilling stories. Through reading several of these and meeting many dynamic people, we look back with gratitude and rejoice in what God has done in the past through OMS.
With deep appreciation for OMS’ spiritual heritage and history, God is now birthing a compelling vision for the future. Two verses on the walls of my office confront me every day. They are Mark 16:15 and Acts 4:12. The vision for giving at least one opportunity for every person to hear the Good News flows out of the truth of God’s Word. There is NO other name in heaven or earth to proclaim, and we must preach the Good News to ALL creation.
Rooted in Scripture and building on the foundation that previous generations sacrificially laid, this vision reflects OMS’ core mission and values. It all starts with God and what He has done through Christ.
“Worthy is the Lamb who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing” (Revelation 5:12).
Jesus is that Lamb who shed his blood for our redemption. Now, He awaits the fulfillment of His mission: the making of disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything He has commanded.
We are a people of One Lord, One Life, and One Calling. Our One Lord is Jesus. Our One Life is in Him, worshiping and obeying Him, becoming like Him as we open our hearts to the Holy Spirit’s sanctifying work. Our One Calling is to Him, to be fully His, to live for His glory, and to carry out His mission.
We begin with God and the redemption He has graciously provided through the Lamb who was slain. Out of His heart, we are compelled by the love of Christ, and our love for Him and those who are far from Him, to carry out His mission. That mission is to give to every person at least one opportunity to hear, understand, and embrace the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Usually, this involves more than one exposure to this Good News and even calls for Spirit-directed persuasion (2 Corinthians 5:11). After repentance and faith, we are then intentional about discipleship in multiplying communities of Christ-centered faith.
This is who we are. This is why we live. To this One Lord, One Life, and One Calling we are relentlessly faithful, energized by God’s Spirit, to give every person at least one opportunity to hear.
To carry out this vision, OMS will:
• Focus on evangelism, disciple-making, leadership training, and church planting – This was the passion of OMS co-founders Charles and Lettie Cowman and reflects OMS’ calling well. It remains at the forefront of our vision for the future.
• Affirm the enormous, strategic role of laypeople – Making up more than 99 percent of the church, the laity can often access people out of the reach of clergy missionaries, even in places “closed” to the Gospel.
• Develop missionary-sending churches around the world to join as partners – Every true New Testament church has cross-cultural mission as a part of its DNA. Many churches OMS helped found in the last century are now sending their own missionaries, who have become a part of God’s global missionary force. Some of them can go places we can’t.
• Grow in internationalization, leading to synergy in carrying out Christ’s mission – God has raised up new instruments to be a part of his global mission orchestra. We must welcome them and learn to play in harmony, making music together that honors him and draws people to Christ. This calls for intentional collaboration among international partners.
• Unite word and deed inextricably just as Jesus did –Demonstrating the love of Christ through compassionate acts with our verbal declaration of the Gospel is compelling. When the church ministers as the hands and feet of Jesus in the local community, it raises its profile in that community, thus opening doors to give people the opportunity to hear, understand, and respond to the Gospel.
O LORD, AS WE SEEK TO CARRY OUT THIS VISION, GIVE US, BY YOUR GRACE AND POWER, A GLOBAL IMPACT FOR YOUR GLORY.
“To Him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be blessing and honor and glory and might forever and ever!” (Revelation 5:13)
While we have had the opportunity to hear the Gospel over and over again, many around the world are still in darkness, needing ONE OPPORTUNITY to hear. Could it be that over the next 10 years, God could use OMS, working with many other partners, to give ONE BILLION people this ONE OPPORTUNITY? This is a God-sized vision that is completely disproportionate to who we are, yet it reflects a passionate longing of His heart!
May God use the courageous, Christ-loving men and women of OMS, along with many partners, to help millions of them not only hear . . . but also repent and believe!